Inflammation is your immune system’s response to injury or infection. The inflammation process cleans out damaged tissue and sets the stage for healing to begin. But, if something interferes with the complex chemical balances of the immune system, the body fails to produce anti-inflammatory responses. In this case, inflammation becomes chronic.
Dr. Smith is concerned about negative effects of chronic inflammation, which range from allergies to life-threatening diseases. Headaches, back pain and neck pain may also be a sign of chronic inflammation.
Chronic inflammation also often manifests as an autoimmune condition, such as fibromyalgia, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. The body reacts to a non-existent threat and attacks its own tissues.
In other cases, chronic inflammation can be mild enough to go unnoticed yet cause significant cumulative damage over time to one or more organs or systems. The possible results can include cancer, heart disease, diabetes or osteoporosis.
Fortunately, along with regular chiropractic care, you can reduce or prevent out-of-control inflammation with smart food choices.
- Beneficial antioxidants from fruits and vegetables.
- Dairy, eggs and meat contain anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Fish, nuts and seeds are excellent sources of omega-3 essential fatty acids
- Vegetable oils from coconut, palm and hemp are high in omega-6 essential fatty acids.
- Turmeric and ginger are two spices proven effective against inflammation.
When it comes to preventing chronic inflammation, two foods are best avoided altogether: Trans fats and sugar.